Deadpool 2 - Good Family Fun 👍

The key to creating a successful movie, from a plot-writing standpoint, is to take familiar tropes that the audience can connect with and twist them to the unique advantage that the characters dictate. For Deadpool 2, the chosen plot structure was "the loner finding their family," and like the classic origin story of the previous film, the results are unsurprisingly brilliant. Even knowing most of what to expect from the Deadpool series (excessive fourth-wall breaks, dirty jokes, graphic violence, and hilarious pop culture references), Deadpool 2 is still thoroughly entertaining, marking it the first truly great blockbuster this summer (apart from the new Avengers, but I'm not counting that). 

In terms of successful aspects of sequels, Deadpool 2 excels at that as well. It is both a film that is in every way related to its origin while perfectly standing on its own. The filmmakers clearly understand that they do not have to try hard to stand out in a genre that does everything the same, so they know that the defining characteristic of the Deadpool universe (namely Deadpool/Ryan Reynolds himself) will carry the movie. In short, those who loved the original will love the sequel, even if the vulgarity is not nearly as shocking. Almost all the jokes stick (even a creative rehash of the regrowing limbs gag <3), and a heightened emotional element does well without drawing away from the humor.

Of course, the movie has its problems, but nothing your average comedy/action fans will care much about. As with any movie that prides itself on excess, Deadpool 2 is always in danger of overdoing it. I almost never read other reviews (at least, before getting my own opinion out there), but I happened to see the blurb on rotten tomatoes and this stuck out to me: "though it threatens to buckle under the weight of its meta gags..." After watching it, I was shocked how accurate that was, and I could hardly believe that the main unique aspect of a movie was almost its downfall. Fortunately, as correct as the statement was, the movie is still insanely fun, and a few moments of annoyance do not detract from the overall immense joy of the Deadpool universe.

I know I did not give a numeric rating for my first album review, but I think it's appropriate for the summer flicks to be able to rank them. I will also warn you, my ratings are usually pretty harsh. That's why I give Deadpool 2 this:

3/4

Keep in mind that it'd be quite difficult to get a 3.5 (a handful of movies a year, like Dunkirk or Arrival) and damn near impossible to get a 4 (once a year, if even, like Fargo or Pulp Fiction). But a 3/4 means most will definitely enjoy the movie, and for me, it's a front-to-back success.

Comments

Popular Posts