Great Movies of My Lifetime: Totally Objective, Unbiased, No Opinions Whatsoever (Part 1)

For my next random segment, I wanted to do something related to movies, and there are no better movies to me than the movies I love. I talk a lot of critical BS in my day-to-day jabbering on different media, but ultimately the best ones are just the ones I like. With that in mind, I figured the best comprehensive movie list I could make would just be some of the best of my own viewing experience.

Despite the title of this article, I am going mostly off my own opinions for these mini-reviews, and restricting my list to films that were produced in my own lifetime of 1997-2018 (hence the title). As much as I like films of other eras as well, I cannot fully grasp their importance since I have not lived during those time periods. And while I didn't really comprehend or remember the first few years, in the end I really don't give a shit about the specifications. ANYWAYS here we go in no particular order ----------------->

Comedy: The Big Lebowski (1998)

This one seems obvious to me, but I did consider other popular favorites like Borat (2006) and Austin Powers (2004). However, there’s something about The Big Lebowski that totally distinguishes it from all other films. Perhaps it’s the Coen Bros. signature touch, or the completely absurd and unnecessary pieces that would feel unimportant in the hands of other filmmakers. Brilliantly centering the action on a character who always just goes with the flow, the movie’s hazy feel and almost otherworldly sequences propel it into a place all by itself in the annals of movie history, as well as my heart.

Sci-Fi: Children of Men (2006)

Whenever I rewatch Children of Men, I realize even more how important and cool it is. As far as modern sci-fi goes, it is the bleakest you can get while also seeming the most real from an acting standpoint. The characters feel human in their portrayal (particularly the painfully determined performance of Clive Owen), so the far-out premise still gives a strong universal message about the value of human life in our society. And as a film nerd, it is the most beautifully and masterfully shot film I have seen in the genre, every scene effectively balancing tension and desolation.


Horror: The Conjuring (2013)

Horror is probably my favorite genre for two reasons: the good ones are a rare treat, and it's so much fun at the theaters. The Conjuring was one of the first I saw in theaters and it has been a favorite ever since. The film makes effective use of classic horror tropes from films like The Exorcist, instead of the ever-so-popular jump scares of "essentials" like Insidious and Sinister. An easy best for director James Wan, the unrelenting edge-of-your-seat creepy atmosphere of the film, ramping up until the last few moments, keeps this one as a classic in my mind.

Gangster: The Departed (2007)

The Departed has got to be the best Scorsese movie of my generation, though I personally loved Silence (2016) and pretty much all the others. A brilliant script that adequately focuses on all major and minor characters, fusing classic gangster movie elements with a double undercover cop story; killer performances on both sides of the camera; and of course, that classic Scorsese style. There's never a doubt when he's behind the scenes of a film -- Scorsese injects a personal, natural feel that has rarely been rivaled, especially with such magnificent consistency in his fourth decade of filmmaking at this time.

Fantasy: The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)

The Fellowship of the Ring may have started this emotionally taxing journey and The Two Towers showed us the grand scale of the epic tale - but this film ends the trilogy with even more amazingly epic scenes and emotionally resonant character arcs, concluding as the best of the three. The balance of the film gives something for everyone, so it's no surprise that it broke barriers on previous fantasy appeal. The film (and all of the trilogy) stands out as great even against other genres; the masterful construction by Peter Jackson remains a staple of movie collections to this day.

Action: The Matrix (1999)

I totally have a strong biased attachment to this film, as it has been a favorite since childhood. Nevertheless, I highly defend this film's top-notch effects and great sets, transitioning from cyberpunk city to sci-fi dystopia with equal effect. As well, the Wachowskis' career-defining self-written story has since transcended past the bounds of the film into philosophical and religious theory (and two iffy sequels). Honestly, for action fans, they pretty much hit everything right in The Matrix. The film just oozes cool -- leather-clad outfits with badass super kung-fu fights and shootouts, balancing sci-fi technologies with comic book fantasy. Pure awesome.

Sports: Million Dollar Baby (2004)


As a relatively big fan of Clint Eastwood, it's always fun to see the differences between the actor role and the director role for him. His movies from 2000 onward have ranged from awesome to terrible but Million Dollar Baby contains his most nuanced performance yet on both sides of the camera. His character Frankie Dunn is his most human ever, full of impenetrable weariness and despondency - then his direction helps give Maggie Fitzgerald (Hilary Swank) the determination to actually impact Dunn's coldness. This unique and defining boxing film has informed every sports movie since, with much less effective results.

Foreign: Pan's Labyrinth (2006)

Guillermo del Toro's now-famous blend of fantasy and reality has never been stronger than in Pan's Labyrinth. The film is a technical masterpiece, with fantastic cinematography, set designs, costuming, score, and performances throughout. The adult-oriented take on fairy-tale legend mixed with the brutality of war (and the evil of Sergi Lopez' Captain Vidal) make a potent combination that captivates and sticks in the mind of the viewer. The rich, dark use of fairy-tale lore forces contemplation of our own loss of innocence in the face of the "real" world, an honesty became more prevalent in post-9/11 art and film.

Western: True Grit (2010)

Though initially hesitant to put a second Coen brothers film on this list, the visually stunning True Grit stands out to me. With a new non-John Wayne approach to main character Rooster Cogburn, Jeff Bridges and company distinguish the film as both a modern marvel and a throwback to the traditional Westerns of and before the early 1950's. It's a classic don't-make-'em-like-they-used-to film, with almost every aspect hitting the balance between tradition and modernity. To those seeking an homage to the original film version and those looking for a more complex and unique vision, amazingly this film will appease both.


Thanks for reading! Hopefully, a part two will come out as soon as I can pick out some more genres. As always, feel free to let me know what you think! I'm always down for the dialogue ðŸ˜‰

Comments

Popular Posts